How to repair small damage or splinters on a guitarNeed to know
No matter how much you try to take care of your guitar, you will surely hit it on the ground unintentionally, the strap has come loose/broken and you have tied it… These unwanted blows can cause the paint to skip and end up causing splinters on a guitar. Don’t worry, today we have a series of simple steps to fix these SMALL DESPERFECTS, the paint can be fixed.
Before we move on to the issue at hand, if what has happened to your guitar are major problems and you are not trained to carry out repairs.
STEPS TO FOLLOW TO REPAIR SPILLS ON A GUITAR:
- First, we will select if we use paint, enamel, or even nail polish. The colour should be as close as possible to that of your guitar. If you don’t find one exactly the same, always decide for the clearest…
- Clean the area you are going to paint removing any remaining paint. Perhaps this is one of the most important steps.
- Start covering the area very slowly with a little super glue (Super Glue or similar) so that the splinters don’t open any more. It can be done with a very fine brush or a stick. Let it dry before proceeding to the next step.
- Start adding the paint with very gentle strokes, slowly and very slowly.
- When the paint is dry, give it a coat of varnish and add lacquer with a stick. The area is a little bulky compared to the rest of the guitar painting.
- Become sandpaper and moisten slightly. With a 400 grit sandpaper gently sand the bulge we mentioned above and continue with an 800 grit sandpaper to smooth the surface. Moisten the area a little to keep dust in the area. Stop sanding once it is level.
- To finish, start polishing with a compound polish and a cloth until the shine matches the rest of your guitar.
ATTENTION: This is not the only way to repair imperfections on a guitar, in fact, some are sure you have other methods in mind. We just want to provide a quick process that is useful for minor damage. For major damage, in cases where you are stuck and need help. In case you’re not near any of them, to any trusted store where a professional can do the same.
Written by Michael Adams
Our experts have made several lists with descriptions of musical instruments and told a lot of secrets from the world of music. Don’t make the same mistakes as others when tuning your guitar and follow our useful tips.
- List of tools needed to adjust your guitarJuly 21, 2019
- How does each type of wood affect the sound of a guitar?July 19, 2019
- Benefits of Knowing how to Play Guitar 2019 – [Change Your Life]July 12, 2019
- The best Mini Amplifiers on the marketJuly 6, 2019
- How to repair small damage or splinters on a guitarJuly 1, 2019