But certainly, the choice to immerse ourselves in the discovery of our guitars is necessary and vital.
Recourse to plentiful sources of information that we can find on the net can lead us to an ocean of doubts and uncertainty. This does not mean that all the information we consult is erroneous (although it should be noted that on the Internet there is everything) but when we do the fieldwork for this subject from ignorance easily end up in the hills of Úbeda, confusing churros with marinas.
Therefore,we want to provide a little land to all those who feel encouraged to investigate more about this instrument as particular as the guitar, which provides a wide range of influence on music at all social and cultural levels.
Before beginning with this series of practical tips for adjusting and repairing our guitars we must bear in mind that: “a good adjustment/repair depends on each person and a good toolkit”. If we want to get a good result and not damage paint, hardware, wood, chrome etc.. we have to arm ourselves with patience, tranquillity, not discouraged by the difficulty and have the right tools for each situation.
A good tool kit
Here is a list of some basic tools you should keep in mind for all your adjustments and repairs:
- Tin Welder
- Drill with the multipurpose kit or Dremel with the multipurpose kit.
- Micro-particle cleaner
- Wood glue
- Pickling acid for weldings
- A set of sandpaper of different grain sizes e.g. 240, 400, 600, 1000. Bear in mind that depending on the repair we will use different types of sandpaper. It is always good to have a wide range of grain
- Set of star and flat screwdrivers.
- Set of Allen keys; if your guitar has a set of keys you must use these, as some brands of guitars have specific measures in their hardware.
- Small wrench
- Set of files
- A saw or marquetry saw
- Set of chisels
With this, we would have to start with our first and easy repairs. Later we will talk about some tools that are specific for more complex adjustments/repairs but for the moment this list will help us to get a general idea of what would be good to have.
Written by Michael Adams
Our experts have made several lists with descriptions of musical instruments and told a lot of secrets from the world of music. Don’t make the same mistakes as others when tuning your guitar and follow our useful tips.
- List of tools needed to adjust your guitarJuly 21, 2019
- How does each type of wood affect the sound of a guitar?July 19, 2019
- Benefits of Knowing how to Play Guitar 2019 – [Change Your Life]July 12, 2019
- The best Mini Amplifiers on the marketJuly 6, 2019
- How to repair small damage or splinters on a guitarJuly 1, 2019